All doors are open for more than half of daylight hours on a daily basis. Free range birds have outside space anywhere between 2 to 30 square feet per bird depending on the outdoor conditions.
- First Week in Lay House (17 weeks old)
- Birds will not have access to winter garden or outside areas to allow them to get familiar with new water and feed systems.
- Second Week in Lay House to 20 Weeks
- Birds will have access to Winter Garden from 1pm to end of day to allow them to get familiar with nest space during peak laying time in the mornings.
- Week 20 to Week 25
- Birds will have complete outside areas access in addition to winter gardens from 1pm to end of day.
- Week 25 to remaining life of flock
- Birds will have full access to winter garden and outside access areas from morning to end of day.
Exceptions – Times we will keep our birds in for their protection
- If temperatures are not projected to rise above 40° F for the day, birds will still have access to Winter Garden but not outside area access.
- Over a quarter inch of rain
- Winds over 20 MPH
- If birds are suspected of having symptoms of illness, or disease they will remain inside as not to pose a threat of contagion to other flocks. Until an Avian veterinarian determines that the situation is not contagious.
- If government agencies have sent out a report of a local avian disease threat. All birds in the reported area will be kept inside until an avian veterinarian determines the threat is not imminent.